In My Words

"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005

Flying Fingers of

kelvin
in london
reading law
bloody stressed


Archives

I don't keep archives

Currently Reading

Company Law - Gower and Davies

in the mood for

Yi Lu Xiang Bei
- Jay Chou

Measure of a Man
- Clay Aiken


Public Airings

The Straits Times Selection

Singapore:To Me
Elitism
Musicianship
Work/Study


A Memory Stirs

The Highlights

Joan Chan
From the future
Ninth Exco
No Damn
WMD
July 7th
My words
My Story, Your Song
Open Letter
ISFJ

Linked to
Livvy
Kassie
Xf
Dana
Audrey

Say Hi to me
kelvgoh@gmail.com

I endorse


the LSESUSS Disco 2005
zouked@the phoenix




from you to me




free hit counter


It Drives Me


thanks to
Image: Yun Photo Gallery
Design: Blogfrocks
Powered: Blogger
 
Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Elf January, zwei tausend und funf, Dienstag.

Heute Ich bin in Schule, Ich war studieren. Schule hat begonnen, Ich bin sehr traurig. Aber ich bin glucklich mein freund ist in London. Heute regnerich, mein kleidung sehr nass.

Morgen ich habe deutsch lektionen, ich bin glucklich!

---------------------------------------------------

I know my german is laughable, but at least I am trying to practice. I do not intend to let it lapse into something I use only once a week, so feel free to laugh, but it will get better soon.

Of late, I have been hearing some funny stuff from people. One of the funniest though was this. He heard this rumour that I was intending to run for Singsoc presidency back in October. It was so long ago and I only hear about it now. From someone who is not even Singaporean in the first place to boot. So much so I feel obliged to release this statement.

-------------------------------------------

Press Release
--------------

It has come to the attention of Kelvin Goh that there have been allegations of his intended candidature for the Presidency of the LSESU Singapore Society.

He would like to categorically refute the allegations that link him to the above position, and re-emphasize that a new committee has been elected and been in office for some time. This committee was elected with the full support of the Society and there has been no indication of an event necessitating an action under Section 23.1 or 23.3 of the Constitution of the LSESU Singapore Society.

He is also of the opinion that such allegations are unnecessary and would do nothing but create unrest within the Society and the Executive Committee. Since the allegation is of no foundation, it is in the best interests of all concerned to avoid mention of a potentially disruptive topic such as the above.

However, Kelvin would like to accept that he may have given an impression during a game of “Truth or Dare” during the Freshmen Orientation Camp that he intended to run for Singsoc. However, he wishes to clarify that his intention at that time was to run for the post of Constitutional Officer, not that of the President.

However, after due consideration, he decided that it was in the best interests of the incoming committee that he does not run for the position, due to reasons of unsuitability and an inability to commit for the entire duration of the office.

He hopes that the new committee would not be affected by the allegations and assures them and all concerned that he does not have, and will not have any intention, now or in the future, to announce his candidature for the Presidency of the Society.

Dizzy Grapevine
Press Relations Consultant

I’Magé Consultants

-----------------------------------------------------

OK. Before I continue, the above letter is a JOKE! But why this form? Cos I was reading something in The Independent yesterday that really piqued my interest for the irony of it all.

Max Clifford is the PR Guru of the United Kingdom. He was the bloke who launched the careers of the then-unknown British Band, The Beatles, and helped plot their way to superstardom. However, the article said, he is regarded as one of the 25 most hated people in Britain. (Of course Tony Blair is in there as well)

Well, the entire irony here is that he is supposed to be a PR guru! How can he become a hated person when he is supposed to make people look good and media friendly? Oh. Probably because he spends so much time and effort doing a good job for his clients (and he does a damm good job at that) that he chooses to sacrifice his own platform.

If that is so, how noble! But with the money he is being paid, I guess it takes the sting out of it.

Thinking about it, it is really not easy trying to make someone as facially and innately loathsome as , let us say, Russell Crowe, become a media darling. Not everyone is as personable as, let us say Zoe Tay. I’ll say that Paris Hilton’s PR machine is doing a good job as well. Imagine, she was like 4 hours late for the opening of her own club! It is for the sake of such people that PR machines exist and exhibit their full spectrum of powers.

The power of image.

Now let us take the recent break up of Jennifer Aniston and Arm, oh. Brad Pitt in consideration. (another reason why I thought of a press statement. I read their statement of split) . Through a combination of smart media manipulation, expensive PR machines and good looks, they have managed to steer clear of major scandals or boo boos in recent memory. Even the fact that BP abandoned his fiancée (a certain GP) to marry the it-girl of TV (OH RACHEL!) seems to have been lost in tabloid history.

Now take Britney Spears. Bless that girl. She has never failed to keep out of the spotlight, recently all for the wrong reasons. First, marrying for a grand 55 hours, secondly, got caught puffing, thirdly , getting herself engaged to someone who cannot wear a hat straight, a.k.a. Kevin Feed-the-line. Oh, lets not forget her proclaimations of “After marriage” and “I love my mother” . Then out comes Justin Timberlake with a plaque saying, “ I took it!”
Now, that girl has given her PR unit a helluva work to do. RESPECT!

PR people and spokespeople should be respected. They take a lot of flak for things that are hardly their fault in their first place. I once watched a Bush spokesperson, out of kindness, duty or compulsion ( I really don’t know) host a press conference after one of the President’s usual gaffes and that poor bloke got bombarded. That poor guy was just bewildered! I would really like to see how Clinton’s spokespeople handled the situation when the little blue dress went public.

But I’m thankful that I got through a term of being a PRO without being bollocked by eggs or having to face a room full of angry journalists and maybe members seeking accountability for a gaffe. Not that it would have happened but I’m not too sure if I would have stood up to the task.

So yet another resolution for the new year would be to be kinder to people. Especially those who are doing stuff and being accountable for stuff they are doing for the good of other people. Whether they pay them or not is inconsequential to my considerations. Think about it, I used to hate teachers for giving holiday homework, and hate people who come up to you on Houghton Street and ask you to donate to this charity or that society. So yeah. A long story cut short.

*murmur to myself*

Be kind to people. They may be doing things for the good of other people or, gasp, YOU!

Yes, I will be kinder to people.

On a more picturesque note, one of my favourite pictures of London


kelvin was inspired at 1:30 AM

     

Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Sunset Image Copyright © Yun Photo Gallery