In My Words

"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005

Flying Fingers of

kelvin
in london
reading law
bloody stressed


Archives

I don't keep archives

Currently Reading

Company Law - Gower and Davies

in the mood for

Yi Lu Xiang Bei
- Jay Chou

Measure of a Man
- Clay Aiken


Public Airings

The Straits Times Selection

Singapore:To Me
Elitism
Musicianship
Work/Study


A Memory Stirs

The Highlights

Joan Chan
From the future
Ninth Exco
No Damn
WMD
July 7th
My words
My Story, Your Song
Open Letter
ISFJ

Linked to
Livvy
Kassie
Xf
Dana
Audrey

Say Hi to me
kelvgoh@gmail.com

I endorse


the LSESUSS Disco 2005
zouked@the phoenix




from you to me




free hit counter


It Drives Me


thanks to
Image: Yun Photo Gallery
Design: Blogfrocks
Powered: Blogger
 
Saturday, May 14, 2005

My Story Your Song
---------------------

8 years ago I failed 5 out of 8 of my sec 3 mid year examinations. I got 0.5% for my A maths paper. I worked slightly harder and passed 4 out of 8 subjects in the year end subjects. I passed all my subjects for my sec 4 mid years but my L1R5 was a grand 32. I worked slightly harder for my prelims and i was duly rewarded with a L1R5 of 30. I worked harder for the O levels and there my story starts.

I sit down at the library this morning and start reading through my feudalism notes. As i flip through the notes tears start to well up in my eyes in the realisation that i read the wrong materials for that topic. I found what i was supposed to read and I don't understand the material one bit. I try and try and try again but it still didn't make sense. and it was plain english. if i was at home i would have flung that bloody coursepack out of the window.

Who am I kidding? Why on earth am I working so hard for? Is it to achieve my dreams of being a jet-setting international lawyer sought after by multi-national companies? or to have big and prestigious firms and banks seeking me out to offer me dream positions? Who am i kidding?

These dreams are not for me. why do i harbour the self same aspirations of my fellow schoolmates who have attained single digit scores for their O levels? Or attained straight As for their A levels? Or achieved stellar results in their first year examinations? I don't have all of that. I am a 20 pointer. An ABB student NUS law wanted no part of. What right do i have to aspire to those jobs that more eminently qualified people hanker after?

I ask myself, who am i kidding? If i was an interviewer, i would look at my own cv and laugh. that being the case, why do i still push myself so hard?

Should I just give up now and just tide my way through the remainder of the course, and to stop striving to become someone i know i cannot be? I spend the greater part of my day trying to figure out stuff that my classmates can write a thesis on. I read nutshells when people read law journals. I can't even sort out my basic facts, let alone sit an examination on monday.

But why? why do i still keep going on? Pushing myself to limits that I never ever thought possible? The amount of time i spend studying a day now is probably the equivalent of what i spend studying in a week at JC. I have been labelled as not-human and reckless as to my health.

I don't enjoy this life. But I have no choice.

I am nowhere near the standard of anyone else here. I do not have a natural brilliance with numbers, nor a flair for writing. I do not have an ability to examine a set of facts and immediately visualise a solution. I don't have the talent, I simply don't.

But what i do have, is determination. And committment. It has got me this far, how far more it will bring me i have no idea. But that is all i have to bring into the exam hall. people take out their sophisticated M16 rifles, and i take out my catapault. people cock their rifles, I load my crushed paper ball. but no matter what, i will still make that paper ball hurt.

At the end of the day, I may not get the shining results everyone else gets. I may not get the jobs or the prestigious internships other people get. But I know that what i have now, i can never have asked for 8 years ago. To get into NYJC with 20 points. To get into LSE law with an ABB. those are things which only in my wildest dreams i would have thought possible.

But those wild dreams became a reality.

And I will dream on, and I will work towards making those dreams a reality. Even if i fall short, I will still remember that 8 years ago, i wouldn't even have thought this possible.

Do you know what it feels like to have a dream? I know what that feels like. But too, I know what it feels like to live a dream, and i want to continue living those dreams. they've passed me by this time perhaps, but if i give up, those dreams will just remain as they are. far and unreachable.

I've come so far. I'm not sure how much further I can go. But i hell i am going to give it my best shot. even if it is with that blimey catapault.

kelvin was inspired at 1:06 AM

     

Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Sunset Image Copyright © Yun Photo Gallery