"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
I was wondering how I am ever going to say the following words, but I figured the best way was to say them with the heart. The notion of the use of language is a strange one. A wide vocabulary, fanciful words and perfect grammar may be an asset in life, but I have always thought that words convey feelings, and writing is an art, and it is only with feeling that I am able to write at my best.
So now I sit here in the Brunch Bowl one last time this year, staring out at that window at the sights that has grown so familiar, looking at the three people who have walked the past 2 months with me, every step, without fail, the people who gave me support at times where I felt that there was no hope, people who never fail to cheer me up with a well placed joke, or nice gestures. Words can never convey how I feel, but I am going to give it a try. And now you know why I am here, for it is only here that I am able to feel, and that I am able to try.
To these three people, thank you very much for all you've done, for being there, and no matter how my results turn out to be, I could never have made it this far without your constant support. Odd as it may be, I am sad that the exams have come to an end. True, it was immensely stressful and tiring, but it was a wonderful experience, and one that I would be willing to relive over and over and over again.
Nothing pierces my heart more than the fact that I fly back home tomorrow without all of you, and if I had known that this would be the way I feel 3 months back when I booked my ticket, I would have changed it, I would have. But I can't now, and it is with regret that I board my flight tomorrow. I am sorry that I cannot be there to see your faces when you clear the last hurdle, and I am sorry that I am not able to be there to share your joy, but one thing you can be sure of is that even though I am far away, my very best wishes and happiness will still be with all of you.
I stare at the clock now and it is almost 11, and it means that I have little more than an hour left to spend with all of you, and I really want to spend every minute there with you, as much more as I can, for this was a time that was hard to bear, but is sweet to remember. It is this sweetness that will follow me as I make my way away, but a part of me will be with you all till you are all done, this I promise you.
I won't forget the days of Benjy's, the days of chicken and mushroom pies, the days of four seasons duck rice, and the wo-bu-zhi-dao days. Neither will I forget the 1M.42 days, the Becks days, the Sakunthai days, and the bloated days. they've become a part of me, and to lose it, it feels like I've lost part of me. But I'm content to keep it in my memories, and to treasure them, and to look back upon them and smile, for I was truly happy.
I am always reflective before I say the words goodbye, but these words I have to say and these people I have to thank.
Ted, you're the person who's given me a home away from home, and for that I am eternally grateful and appreciative. Few warmer feelings exist other than knowing that I go back everyday to a home, and you're the reason why that is so. Thank you so much for everything.
"Teddy", you've been a friend that I cannot imagine this year without. From all the support you've given during the hard times, and for all the advice you've given, and for all the times you're there for me to express my worries and troubles to, I thank you. I may not have been the best friend you can ever have, but for people like you I will always give my best.
PimpledPig, I know you don't read this space, but if you do, I just want to let you know that my life this year would never be complete without you. You bring so much happiness into my life, and you have no idea how much strength you have given me to soldier on, and the many things to look forward to. Things could have turned out very differently, but I am glad it has turned out the way it has, for it has brought you into my life and for that I am grateful. You were a friend who was there when few others were, and that means a lot to me. Your friendship has been one of the highlights of my year, and I want you to know that.
Brick, I thank God for this opportunity, and for the times we've spent. You've seen me almost inside out, and if not for your presence I would never have come this far. To wake up to texts which never fail to make me realise that life can be beautiful, even when it doesn't seem so. Your friendship is something which has changed my life, and I want you to know that, and it is something I will treasure and remember. You were born to be happy, promise me you'll stay that way.
Umbrella, I don't think you read this too but when you do, I want you to know how much I look up to you, at how nothing ever gets you down, and how you can always show a cheery face no matter how dire the situation. I appreciate all the gestures, and all the effort, and all the friendship.
SpectacledCarebear, it's hard for me to put into words how I felt when I first met you. You are special and you know that, and I respect you for that. Your support and the way you put things into perspective is something I know I can depend on, and for that I thank you, even when words fail me.
8310 and c.n.loh, the 2 christmas cards last year, and the friendship, care and concern you have always given me rests in my memory as something I am grateful for. We do not get a chance to meet up often but as you are always there for me, I will be there for you.
Netballers, it wasn't an easy ride, but each and every one of you give me something to look back on and smile. Before our time, there wasn't much to look forward to on a saturday, but you've me more than something to look forward to. You've given me a reason to be happy and to be proud, and given me some meaning in my life when there was little, and that means a lot to me. Thank you all.
Livvy, we go back a long way. You know me almost better than anyone else, and you're a friend i know who is always there despite the distance, and for that I thank you.
Carrie, I know you don't read this as well but to me, you're the friend I can always turn to even though I don't see you. Your presence means a lot to me, and despite the distance, you're a friend I will always go the distance for.
and all of you, the wonderful individuals who make up my life here in London, you know who you are, I thank you, and each of the above, for making my life complete.