"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
The Ninth LSESU Singapore Society Executive Committee
President: Chong Ling Li Vice-President: Andre Oei Treasurer: Alison Then Secretary: Watson Teo Events Officer: Florrine Ng Events Officer: Oh Chai Yee Public Relations Officer: Gerald Tan Sports Secretary: Adrian Koh Careers Officer: Gullnaz Baig Webmaster: Don Lim Constitutional Officer: Lee Hui Fang
--------------------------------------
Every year I've been in London, in October especially, a thought creeps into my head. The first year I followed my heart. The second year I followed my head. This year, I don't know which to listen to. You can call me narrow minded, claustrophobic, weird, stupid, good-for-nothing etc, but I know deep down inside, Singsoc will always run in my blood. No one will ever understand the way I feel about the society, why I believe in it so much, so much so that I've sunk in nearly $1,000 of my own cash into the society.
I've grown tired of explaining why I've grown to love this society everyone else loves to hate. It's not because I want to be popular. It's not because I crave power and glory. But because I believe so much in the vision of Singsoc, and what we can do for Singapore as a society. It's about our country, our home.
Everyone talks about high-flying careers, well-paying jobs. But deep down inside I know there is little to take me away from a career in the civil service. But I am very conscious of the fact that I'm not a government scholar, and even if i get into the civil service, I know my progression will always be limited as thus. But I don't think I should let such facts dampen this belief I have. Neither should I ever be bothered about criticism and jibes. But most importantly, I should not let those who doubt me change me.
In your eyes, can there never be altruism in the world? A genuine desire to a make a difference should not always be interpreted as an agenda. What's wrong in wanting to make the world a better place for other people? If you can have your beliefs, I can have mine. And I believe in Singsoc, I always have.
And in this incoming committee, I know that the faith will not be misplaced. Lingli and Andre, I know both of you are among the best people we have to carry this through. It's important to believe, please don't lose the faith.
Oh, "Left Approach" - I'm proud of you, I really am.
-----------------------------------------
On another note, I've heard another rumour going around. That I was going to run for presidency of Singsoc this year. I feel like laughing. It's ridiculous really. Let's see if it happens NEXT year.