In My Words

"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005

Flying Fingers of

kelvin
in london
reading law
bloody stressed


Archives

I don't keep archives

Currently Reading

Company Law - Gower and Davies

in the mood for

Yi Lu Xiang Bei
- Jay Chou

Measure of a Man
- Clay Aiken


Public Airings

The Straits Times Selection

Singapore:To Me
Elitism
Musicianship
Work/Study


A Memory Stirs

The Highlights

Joan Chan
From the future
Ninth Exco
No Damn
WMD
July 7th
My words
My Story, Your Song
Open Letter
ISFJ

Linked to
Livvy
Kassie
Xf
Dana
Audrey

Say Hi to me
kelvgoh@gmail.com

I endorse


the LSESUSS Disco 2005
zouked@the phoenix




from you to me




free hit counter


It Drives Me


thanks to
Image: Yun Photo Gallery
Design: Blogfrocks
Powered: Blogger
 
Friday, October 14, 2005

From: GOH, Kelvin W Z
To: "Edward Goh", "Sophie Goh", "Gerald Goh"
cc: mummy@goh-family.com
Subject: I love you.. with all my heart

Love, dear children,

I am sitting now in the plush vestiges of this office which I've built from scratch. The lush wood panelling, the mahogany table, the full-length glass windows, represent the all the efforts which I have put into building the finest firm Singapore has seen.

But all this opulence pales in comparison to the four of you, who form the very fabric of my life. To my three children, I was there to hear your very first cry, and now three of you are overseas pursuing the educations you have always wanted.

Edward, I'm proud, and honoured, that you have chosen to follow in my footsteps and read law at the LSE. I remember, 30 years ago, I was an undergraduate at the school, full of enthusiasm, passion and belief in the beauty of life. London brought reality into my one-sided view of this world, and moulded me into a better person. I understand your confusion and indecision with regards to your final year subjects, as I was in the very same position as you are now. I was torn between doing what was sensibly good for me, going for a first-class degree, and doing what I really enjoyed. In the end, I chose to follow my heart and do what I knew I would love. I have never looked back since, and I hope that you will choose well too.

You're never one to take to mushy words, so Daddy will not say too much. But you know I'm always here you, but quite unfortunately, you never need me, because you always choose so well. You're your own man now, one of the finest I can ever meet. Be brave and the skies are yours.

Sophie darling, you are the most loving, beautiful and intelligent daughter a father can ever hope for. You will remember the tears I shed when you gave me the honour of putting on your "si fang mao" at your graduation. Those tears are tears of pride. The scroll of highest honours you received that day is what your father always dreamt of, but never achieved. I tried so very hard, but I never managed to keep up to the standards my fellow classmates at university set. I remember stepping into the LSE and feeling overawed by my contemporaries. There I was, a simple heartlander who has never attended a marque school in his life, studying among the very best Singapore had to offer. I struggled, with doubt and difficulties with people I thought who cared about me, but faith got me through.

But alas, the damage had been done, and it was something I never quite recovered from. I had very good friends, without whom your father would not be who he is now, and you know them as Uncle Tee, Auntie Ar and Auntie Twix, as well as Uncle Ass who is in the States now. I am glad you did not have to go through what I did, and came out of it with so much more. You now have offers to work for the finest law firms in the world, and banks still inundate your mailbox daily with invitations. It is your choice, what ever you choose, Daddy will always support you, because this is what Daddy wanted, and Daddy never had. I miss you dearly.

Gerald, I sat in the audience with Mummy and watched you receive your scholarship. Tears again welled up in the eyes of your cry baby father. But once again, it was because you were offered a chance to pursue the career of service, with all the promises that what you invested in will be returned to you tenfold. Your father did not dare enter the civil service without a scholarship, but now you have the path paved out for you. You will soon wave to the world from the crown of the Statue of Liberty, sip tea at the cafe on the Rockies, rub your feet over the stars on the Walk of Fame, things your father never managed to achieve at your tender age.

You have achieved so much more than Daddy ever did in his lifetime, and yet still remain so humble, so grounded, and such a gentleman. Everyone around you has nothing but kind words for you, and your gentle spirit of giving unconditionally is recognised among your peers, and your elders. Your love for your country too I can sense, and I am proud to stand by you as your father. May your kind and giving heart continue to be You, and may your belief and faith in all things beautiful continue to shape your life into the utopia it can be.

Love, my life changed when I met you. You were the shy lady I didn't dare to speak to, you were the shining star who saw me through the toughest years of my life, and you were, and still is, the love of my life. I cannot say I love you any more, for the written and spoken language can never express what I feel for you. It is a language made between you and me, and our three beautiful children. This is our life, no one can take it away from us.

I am reminiscing all our beautiful times spent as a couple, as a young family, and as a family today. This is a beautiful life, and it's thanks to you.

With all my love,

Your loving husband, and father.

----------------------------

*work of fiction, no one exists

kelvin was inspired at 11:41 PM

     

Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Sunset Image Copyright © Yun Photo Gallery