"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
I was reading The Independent yesterday and I was appalled by something which I thought should be regarded as private domain information. Well you see, Professor Christopher Greenwood QC is the Convener of the LSE Law Department, and he gave independent legal advice to the British Government with regards to the legality of the war in Iraq. After examining the relevant documents, he came to the conclusion that the war was indeed legal, a view which I stand in agreement.
In the report, the newspaper reported that firstly, the british parliament published his name and the details of how much he was paid for his services. Secondly, they printed details of his appointments, more directly, Professor of International Law at the London School of Economics. Now, have they quite considered the ramifications of such a wanton publication of poor Chris's details? I believe that the Counsel-Client priviledge is one which is supposed to be kept strictly private and confidential. Is this apparent 'need' for accountability going to supercede the right of the counsel for anonymity?
If i were Chris, I would be quite disappointed with the conduct of parliament. He already is the subject of numerous and repeated enquiries with regards to justifying his stand over iraq. He has participated in a debate (which I quite appreciatively had the priviledge to attend) with another member of academic staff who did not agree with his interpretation, he has had goodness knows how many interviews with the Beaver, and undoubtably numerous public sector interviews. How much longer is he going to have to put up with all these? I have no idea but i feel the deepest sympathy for him.
On another hand, being a little more educated than a good number of other people in the world, I do quite appreciate a point he always stresses. "There is a big difference whether the military action in Iraq was legal, and whether it was justified. " unfortunately many other people seem to mix up this pretty straightforward distinction and put blatantly wrong arguments forward. Sure, war is painful, and the fight for the sanctity of human life is a cause which is quite worth it, but do not be so blind as to confuse fundamental legal distinctions and overwhelm an already beleaguered Professor Christopher Greenwood, QC, CMG.
I do not see the need of why one should persistently be asked to defend his own professional opinion. One given in the strictest confidence moreover. It is a joke.
On another note, i have somehow heard that my involvement with the LSESUSS Netball team has made me the butt of jokes. for those who think that way, sod off. I don't quite care what you think because I'm having the time of my life doing my job. unlike you, I am quite disapproving of the mentality that gender issues should cloud the objective nature of tasks. Just because it is something you in your self-interested and apathetic nature would not bother doing doesn't mean that it is wrong. But of course, though i KNOW who you are or may be, I will feign ignorance and not retaliate. It is not in my nature to retaliate for I am more than willing to let time be the ultimate arbiter of who is right or who is wrong. That being said, I'm not interested in proving myself right, i'm just interested in proving the lack of rightness in your assessment.
Over the year i have learnt how to steel myself and swallow what everyone else throws at me. I have faith that everything will work out fine for me in the end. I still hold on to that faith. Unlike you, I believe.