"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
The article which was modified in the interests of space.
You can earn respect whatever your job (ST, June 20 2005)
By Goh Wen Zhong
THE saying 'Birds of a feather flock together' aptly describes Singapore society. With the emphasis on academic excellence, social circles here tend to be formed around the educational backgrounds of their members.
It's probably a mistake to think that all students from elite schools are elitist, but there will inevitably be some who make these distinctions. Generally, few dare voice their elitism, preferring the more subtle approach of associating with people of a similar background.
I often find myself in an awkward situation. On the one hand, I am a law undergraduate at a top university. On the other, I come from humble origins.
I feel fortunate that I have been able to experience life at all levels because of my background and national service. It has taught me never to forget how it feels to be ordinary. And given the chance, I would want to live the same life again. If my family had not been able to send me to university, I would not have been what I am. Money may buy an education, but the people who miss out are not inferior.
Law and medical students have some right to be proud. But it is important to remember that for every successful lawyer, there is a chain of people who support him - from public transport workers to secretaries who do his photocopying.
Receiving honours at university is a stepping stone to a bright career, but contributing to the lives of others will earn you respect, and that can be achieved, whether you are a doctor or a dispatch rider.
The writer is a second-year law student at the London School of Economics.
-----------------------
The unmodified article
Elitist enounciations
By : Goh Wen Zhong
WHEN MY PEERS are introduced to each other, one of the first questions always asked is "Which school were you from?" The answer given to that question often elicits a variety of responses, sometimes one of respect or kinship, sometimes one of thinly-vieled dismissal. In a society which has constantly emphasised on academic excellence, such a consequence seems somewhat inevitable. "Birds of a feather flock together" seems an apt description of how teenage social circles are formed in recent times, with academic similarity largely a constant and similar thread.
This leads to a marked distance between the intellectually gifted youths and the more mainstream ones, which is harmful to Singapore's cohesiveness as a society to say the least. Such a phenomenon, more often than not, gives rise to a certain categorisation of a class of people. In this case, elitism is the consequence.
I often find myself in an awkward situation. For one, being a law undergraduate at a top university in the world puts me in the company of many outstanding people who have exemplary academic and personal achievements. The Singaporeans at my university all have stellar academic records and thoroughbred CCA records, and are truly outstanding people.
But the other side of me is one of a humble past. I was educated in a SAP primary school, but in an ordinary class. But I went on to a middle ranked government secondary school that only recently became autonomous, and then went on to a middle-tier Junior College. The transition from a more measured education to a pacey one was a big step for me and I did struggle.
Academics aside, it was also difficult to fit in with the brighter students. While I do not think anyone is outwardly elitist, it seems to be a sub-conscious difference in ideals and methods which poses the barrier to integretion. For someone seeking to enter that circle, it may prove an ardous task which many would rather avoid. Thus, two or more cliques form and that is where the malaise of elitism starts.
One thing I will stress is that not everyone from an elite education has elitist airs about them. It is a serious misconception that all such graduands are homogenous. But I cannot deny that there are indeed some who perhaps sub-consciously make such differentiations.
I feel disappointed when people share with me good they feel about what they achieved and look down on other people who have not reached that pinnacle. Similarly, I always try not to judge a person by his or her past. Such superficial judgments should best be left alone.
Many law and medicine students have some right to be proud of what they have achieved, for it is indeed tough courses to be admitted into and to graduate from. But it is also important to realise that we all co-exist in a delicate balance of life. For every successful lawyer there is a whole chain of people, from the public transport assistants who take them to work, for the secretaries who run the paperwork, and the tea-lady who keep them nourished.
We all have to recognise that we play different roles in this balance, and all we should do is to is to seek to play our roles the best we can, to complement the other roles the others are playing.
In the end, we should not fail to realise that there is an ultimate 'degree' we all graduate from. That is Life. Graduating with high honours as a professional will bring one fame and fortune, but graduating from life with high honours will bring one respect.
What makes an outstanding individual is what people remember of them. If the rememberance is one of respect, it does not matter whether he was a doctor or a despatch rider.