"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
It's a day a long way in the making. My last day of summer holiday work. It honestly hasn't felt much like a holiday, given that the next working day from when I touched down I started my internship streak. Well, I had four good days in Sydney with my cousin, and three excellent days at FCUK'2005, and tonnes of rollin good times with my the people who matter to me in between. I'm grateful for all those times.
As I was telling Zhongwen yesterday, I feel that I've been working for ages. Well, I've probably been working for six months now, given that I started 10 hour study days in mid march, and till now, the tempo has been rather regular. Wake up at 7/8am, study (mar-may) or work (june-sept)till nighttime, then sleep. And these six months have inevitably taken it's toll on me. Zhongwen said that I looked jaded, I look in the mirror and I tend to agree, well, most of the time.
Hey man, I think being a student isn't too bad after all, and i'm looking forward to 3 weeks of R & R in London before hitting the books once more. I do have quite a fair bit to do during that period but I'll manage. At least I call the shots then, not report to one. HAHA.
But that notwithstanding, it's been an enriching three-and-a-half months at work. It may not be what one terms a glorious set of internships (by London standards) but hey, I'm not sure many people have had the chance to intern at BOTH The Straits Times and Rajah & Tann in one summer vacation.
For that I'm grateful to the two organisations, and to my bosses, for giving me the chance and supporting me every step of the way during my tenures. At the Straits Times, I learnt so much about myself, what I can do, and what I can't. I learnt to translate ideas into words, and how to express them. And I too re-stoked my interest in photography.
At Rajah & Tann, I wasn't just any ordinary intern. I was given real legal work to do, the chance to come up with two unprecedented arguments, to draft two unprecedented contracts and a whole whammy of orders. I also had the chance to advise my first "client" and while the conclusion isn't exactly 100% what we wanted, I'm glad for the experience, and for me, the first victory.
Two weeks in corporate, and two weeks in insolvency. The experience is priceless, and more than ever before, the idea of coming back home to practice, looks attractive.
But still I will keep my options open, and let Him up there guide my every step, and to light every turn in my journey. I have complete faith in that journey He has planned, and I will walk it, all the way.