In My Words

"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005

Flying Fingers of

kelvin
in london
reading law
bloody stressed


Archives

I don't keep archives

Currently Reading

Company Law - Gower and Davies

in the mood for

Yi Lu Xiang Bei
- Jay Chou

Measure of a Man
- Clay Aiken


Public Airings

The Straits Times Selection

Singapore:To Me
Elitism
Musicianship
Work/Study


A Memory Stirs

The Highlights

Joan Chan
From the future
Ninth Exco
No Damn
WMD
July 7th
My words
My Story, Your Song
Open Letter
ISFJ

Linked to
Livvy
Kassie
Xf
Dana
Audrey

Say Hi to me
kelvgoh@gmail.com

I endorse


the LSESUSS Disco 2005
zouked@the phoenix




from you to me




free hit counter


It Drives Me


thanks to
Image: Yun Photo Gallery
Design: Blogfrocks
Powered: Blogger
 
Monday, September 05, 2005

My mum asked me, why is it when my friends give me a call, I put down everything and scoot off to meet them, and when they tell me something's planned up for the family, I don't seem as enthu as when my friends ask me out.

I know it's true, I enjoy being with my friends because they bring balance to my life. The good and the bad, the ups and the downs, for the past couple of years, it was almost always with people whom I call friends, whether in the past or present tense.

She once too asked me, when my friends needed help, why do I go all out to help them even though they've disappointed me in the past (A reference to a certain Miss E). To that sometimes I have no answer. I think, most of the time, it's because I need to feel useful. I can't just sit around and lounge and do nothing about a friendship I can do something about, and I don't think it's a trait that's solely mine. (X-ref back to a character test I did sometime back - summarised)

Profile: ISFJ
Revision: 2.4
Date of Revision: 20 Jul 03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISFJs are characterized above all by their desire to serve others, their "need to be needed." In extreme cases, this need is so strong that standard give-and-take relationships are deeply unsatisfying to them;...

ISFJs are often unappreciated, at work, home, and play. Ironically, because they prove over and over that they can be relied on for their loyalty and unstinting, high-quality work, those around them often take them for granted--even take advantage of them.

Admittedly, the problem is sometimes aggravated by the ISFJs themselves; for instance, they are notoriously bad at delegating ("If you want it done right, do it yourself"). And although they're hurt by being treated like doormats, they are often unwilling to toot their own horns about their accomplishments because they feel that although they deserve more credit than they're getting, it's somehow wrong to want any sort of reward for doing work...

In the workplace, ISFJs are methodical and accurate workers, often with very good memories and unexpected analytic abilities; they are also good with people in small-group or one-on-one situations because of their patient and genuinely sympathetic approach to dealing with others.

ISFJs make pleasant and reliable co-workers and exemplary employees, but tend to be harried and uncomfortable in supervisory roles. They are capable of forming strong loyalties, but these are personal rather than institutional loyalties; if someone they've bonded with in this way leaves the company, the ISFJ will leave with them, if given the option.

...Needless to say, ISFJs take infinite trouble over meals, gifts, celebrations, etc., for their loved ones--although strong Js may tend to focus more on what the recipient should want rather than what they do want.

Like most Is, ISFJs have a few, close friends. They are extremely loyal to these, and are ready to provide emotional and practical support at a moment's notice...the older the friendship is, the more an ISFJ will value it.

One ISFJ trait that is easily misunderstood by those who haven't known them long is that they are often unable to either hide or articulate any distress they may be feeling. For instance, an ISFJ child may be reproved for "sulking," the actual cause of which is a combination of physical illness plus misguided "good manners." An adult ISFJ may drive a (later ashamed) friend or SO into a fit of temper over the ISFJ's unexplained moodiness, only afterwards to explain about a death in the family they "didn't want to burden anyone with." Those close to ISFJs should learn to watch for the warning signs in these situations and take the initiative themselves to uncover the problem.

-----------------------

I never really believed in online character tests till I did this simple 40 question test, and it really told me so much of myself that I couldn't quantify in words.

Indeed, I've gotten into tonnes of trouble with "personal loyalties" rather than institutional loyalties. It's true to a certain extent that if I don't agree with the institition, I adopt a cavalier "fuck all" attitude and set about supporting the person the whole world disagrees with.

I remember back when I was at ST, the whole SPG episode came about. ST scooped the news event and carried the article, and Izzy was deriled as cheap and what-have-you. I felt strongly about the treatment she was getting, and actually contacted her offering to do a story about her side of the story irregardless of what ST said, and I tell you I was prepared to offer TNP/Today the article if ST dunked the story. Hey, if they had shown me the door because of that I would have walked out (and it does say something because friends close to me know the role ST played in my life)

And yes, she has also once asked me, why on earth do you care so much for people to whom you mean nothing to? Don't you feel stupid? (in her context she's still referring to Miss E) I told her, quite frankly, that I don't care. I get hurt all the time when people don't appreciate what i've been doing for them, sometimes they even stab me in the back, but I really don't care.

Why don't I care? I once received a text message from a friend, and till today it remains in my phone.

"If ever the day comes when you find a better friend than me,
Just remember that what I gave you is the best of what I have,
And what I am to you,
Is the best that I could be... "

These words have always been resounding deep in me when I meet a new friend, because that's what I hope people will remember when they're my friend. Friends mean the world to me, because I have never had much friends in my life. primary school, secondary school, junior college, no, not many friends at all, and so when friends come along, I treasure them and I give my best, even if it's not mutual.

It's the same feeling as when you've spent your childhood staring at the chicken drumsticks being given to your siblings and you get the wing, and when you finally sink your teeth into a drumstick at 16, you savour that moment.

Or how I felt when I passed my driving test. All my life I've always wanted to drive. Finally I had the license to do so, and I had a car. I treasured every moment behind the wheel of that Nissan Sunny, and held them close to my heart. And people around me knew that when my father told me She was sold because I was in London, my heart broke.

I don't have a car now, and so I treasure every minute I spend behind a steering wheel, because unlike others who have it all, when they want it, I don't. and to those who think i'm weird when I say cars and books have a sense of feeling, and that's why I take extreme care with these immovables, I'm sorry, I'm just treasuring what I never really had, or don't really have.

Just like my friends.

But over the years, my family has always been there for me and I will never forget them. Like how we went to watch Herbie : Fully Loaded as a family, for the first time in 10 years, at a cinema.

I actually like the show, and I'm sure my dad did as well (considering his very first car was a 1963 VW Beetle (as Herbie is) ), and I like it even more here, for I think it's an apt summary of all i've written.

If I had a Herbie, I'll stick with that 1963 Bug no matter what other people say, people do to it, or how i'm laughed at. Because few will ever understand what the Bug means to me.

-----------------------------

I left a message on lyne's tag

"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different. Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."

It's something I have never quite managed to do, but hell I hope she does.

kelvin was inspired at 2:16 AM

     

Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Sunset Image Copyright © Yun Photo Gallery