"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
The clothes have been vacumm-packed, the suitcases clicked shut and strapped up, and the flight clothes hanging on the clothes rack. Two jet-black Lojel chests now stand in my room, ready to bring back the memories of the past 15 weeks back in Singapore.
I remember my disappointment when I didn't get an internship in London, as I hear news of the numerous successes my peers had. I very reluctantly started sending out applications in Singapore, and booked a ticket back home. That was in March.
It's now september, and what was a disappointment six months ago, is a beautiful memory. My 15 weeks in Singapore have been one of the best 15 weeks of my life, without a doubt. I was gainfully employed, even gainfully deployed, as an intern at a newsroom and a law firm. I did no menial work, and I come out of the two experiences more certain than ever before what I want from a career.
I've spent time with my family, something we don't get to do very often these days. We had good meals, we watched a movie together, we went shopping together... It's so good to see them again.
I spent four quality days in Sydney with my cousin, whom I haven't seen for the longest time. Four wild, wacky, fun-filled days with the only person outside my family who can claim to have "watched me grow up".
I spent three fabulous days at FCUK'2005, and I thank all of you who have made it possible. You, You, You, and all of You who made the camp such a success.
To You and You who always find time for me and each other, for organising numerous food expeditions, hollering sessions, animal viewing, for sitting through a "war" with me, for always being there to say a cheerful word, for always giving me something to look forward to when there was little else to, and for, being my friend.
To You who planned the most sincere celebrations I have ever had, I am indebted. For the Altis moments, for the speed-lunches, for Straits Kitchen, for Tonkichi, for the wild ranting moments, and for being one of the rocks of my life. Thank you for, being my friend.
To You who, quite unfortunately caused both my bouts of gastric flu, thanks for the lunches, the dinners, the cake, and for all the wonderful (and not-so-wonderful) moments. Thank you for, being my friend.
To You and You, we've walked six years together as friends, and I'm glad that we still walk the same journey despite our vastly differing lives now. I really wish that I had more time to spend with both of you, but we all know that it's no longer going to be easy to keep the past in the present. So for now, I'll keep the past in my heart, and in there it will always stay. I will be back soon.
To You who entertain me at racquet games, thanks for all the times, yelling at me, suan-ing me, laughing at me, for easing me into a sport which I really really enjoy. Let's have more of it in London.
To You and You, friends from up north, Thank you for being part of my life. To You who has been there without fail from the first day we embarked on the journey, I thank you for all the oddball moments, all the laughs, all the suan-ing, all the name-calling, all the discussions, all the tic-tac-toe games, and for all the support you've given me. And to You, who never fails to make me laugh, thank you for the times online, Ajisen ramen, and here's to more rollin' good times ahead.
To You, a complete stranger, who dropped me a surprise email cheering me up, thanks.
And to all of You who have been part of my life these 15 weeks, I thank you.
-------------------------
Straits Times Chomp Chomp War of the Worlds Newton Circus K-Box Tennis Tanglin Club Steamboat Buffet Straits Kitchen Soup Restaurant K-Box Tennis Kopitiam Ajisen Ramen Thai Express Fish and Co Sydney Haagen Daz Lido Rajah & Tann Pontini's Sentosa FCUK'2005 Night Safari Jalan Kayu Comex Swensens Melrose Fuente Challenger Signature Park Army Market Fountain Court Han's Home
---------------------------------------
I fly off tomorrow with a tinging unwillingness to say "goodbye". I really will.
I would never have traded these 15 weeks for anything in London. Nothing at all.