"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
Let's talk about Foreign versus local degrees by Goh Wen Zhong
Study abroad for exposure, independence
I HAVE always seen myself reading law, and I was disappointed when I was not offered a place at a university back home in Singapore.
It was then that I decided to apply to universities in Britain.
As luck would have it, I was admitted to the London School of Economics.
It has been two years since I first flew to London to begin my tertiary studies - and I daresay the time has been extremely well spent.
I have had the opportunity to make friends and study with youths from countries as diverse as Mauritius and Iceland.
I am also learning from lecturers who advise British Prime Minister Tony Blair on international issues.
But the most valuable lessons have been learnt far from the classroom.
Living independently overseas gives young students a unique experience.
Tasks such as shopping for good meat cuts, cooking your own meals and scrubbing your own toilet bowl are all part of an overseas student's routine.
These have all contributed to the very positive experience I have had so far in Britain.
In a year, I will graduate with a degree from one of the foremost schools in the world, which will probably open up job opportunities in several countries - something a Singapore degree may not necessarily offer.
However, I believe an education is only as good as the student. A successful career is sustained by one's willingness and ability to learn on the job, and is not built solely on one's formal education.
The writer is a third-year law student at the London School of Economics.
--------------------------------------------
(The original submission)
Sugg Head: Beyond Certificates
By: Goh Wen Zhong
I HAVE always seen myself reading law at university, and I was disappointed when I was not offered a place to do so in a local university. It was then I decided to apply to universities in the United Kingdom, and as luck would have it, was admitted into my current school.
It's been two years since I first flew into London to commence tertiary studies, and those two years have been among the most fruitful in my life thus far. I have had the opportunity to make friends and study with youths from countries as diverse as Mauritius to Iceland. I have also had the opportunity to learn from lecturers who personally advise the British Prime Minister on issues such as the legality of armed conflict.
But the places I learnt the most valuable lessons are far from a classroom. Living independently overseas gives the young student a unique experience. Tasks such as shopping for good meat cuts and cooking your own meals, scrubbing your own toilet bowl, arranging for a water supply to one's house are just some among a routine day of an overseas student. Most of the time, these are experiences that the environment of "Home" may not offer.
These have all contributed to a very positive experience I have had in the United Kingdom, and in a year I will graduate with a degree from one of the foremost schools in the world. This degree opens up an unbelievable array of job opportunities internationally, one which a local education, marque as it is, may not offer.
However, despite all the "perks" of an overseas education, I firmly believe that an education is only as good as the receipient, and is up to the student to make the most of their education. A successful career is sustained by one's willingness and ability to learn on the job, and not built solely on one's formal education. And what keeps one economically viable is strength of character, and that's something no formal education, local or overseas, can give.
The certificates we get after an education should not be seen as a destination in itself, but part of the journey. And this journey can be equally fulfilling anywhere, as long as the student wills it so.
The writer is a third-year law student at the London School of Economics