"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
I died and went to Heaven. In there, I was walking down Heavenlywych and into Clement Heaven and into Heaven Kong Theatre for a Heavenly International Law lecture.
I assure you, I was blown off my feet during PIL lecture today. And that I'd like to believe is something quite special because I hardly even pay attention during lectures, let alone find my mind fully engaging the lecturer. But today that's what exactly happened. Reason? Professor Chris Greenwood was lecturing on the use of force. And it was so well delivered and structured that for once, I really felt sad that the lecture was over.
I assure you it's not just me, the people around me were similarly blown away, it's just that chris has this immense presence, and coupled with an engaging style, he really takes in his audience. But anyway, here's a snippet on something I found really quite entertaining.
Ireland declared a state of emergency in 1939 just shortly before the outbreak of WW2, i.e. it had declared "war" against the Axis powers. In a seperate matter, The president of the Republic of Ireland wanted to declare a state of emergency again in 1976 as a result of the IRA troubles.
He arranged a live TV broadcast to make the declaration.
Then just an hour or so before the broadcast, some smart aleck realised : "Hey, we can't declare a state of emergency at the moment because we're still in a state of emergency!"
Yes people. International law holds that a state of emergency must be expressly ended, and since Ireland has yet to end the state of emergency it declared in 1939, it was technically still at war. And as such, it couldn't declare a state of emergency because technically, it was still in a state of emergency.
So yes, the beleaguered president signed a declaration in 1976, declaring an end to the state of emergency his grand grand grand grand grand predecessor called in 1939, and 45 minutes later, went on telly declaring a state of emergency.
And so, even at the highest levels of government, there are still elementary screw ups.
I'm slowly starting to enjoy the subjects i'm doing, quite simply because they are slowly but surely starting to make sense. It hasn't really struck me yet, but i'm studying at a university ranked 11th in the whole freaking world, and the second-best social science institution in this planet. We're second only to. erm. Harvard. Well, nothing to be ashamed of really, considering it is the best university in the world.
It just feels surreal, even now when i'm in my third year. Part of me wants to pinch myself "hey, wake up", but if that's the case, it's a dream I never want to wake up from. but it's real. I stumble out of bed every morning to be awakened by a cold gust of wind. I step out of my rear door and I'm greeted by a picturesque Elizebethan palace.