"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
It has been more than a week since I last updated but you must pardon me, it was a torrid week for me in terms of time. I return home every day nearer to midnight than 10pm, and the fact that it was but week 6 of Michaelmas term should evidence that life as a third year isn't as smooth sailing as I made it sound. Yeah, I did once say that I would take year 3 easy given that I've more or less achieved some of what I set out to do previously, but I guess it's not in me to sit back and smell the roses.
In addition to putting a lot more effort into school than I have at this time of year in my intermediate and part I phases of the LLB, there's always this additional factor of what sort of jobs will I be looking for come 2007. I'm lucky enough to have parents who are supportive of my wish to pursue a LLM but I can't postpone coming out into the working world indefinitely. Best friend here has a great future mapped out, teddy's coming along pretty well and I pray that teddy will get something for that's the least teddy deserves.
But on the topic of jobs, I hear of many many people getting plum jobs with plum salaries. Now, some of them I believe deserve every ounce of what they've achieved. Some of them though, I wonder how they've come as far as they've come. Does being a go-getter and to a certain extent, selfish and unscrupulous get you places? On emperical evidence, it apparently does. That's a disillusioning thought to say the very least. But as I learnt last night with Best friend, teddy and punched, we should just sit back and believe, at the very least, in ourselves.
Speaking of last night, it was an immensely enjoyable evening. Now, while it always feels good when someone whips up a dish for you, it's made somewhat more special when there's an added dimension to the effort, other than a sheer "thank you". But it was one I did enjoy nonetheless, and it was a good way to spend a sunday night, the last few of which was spent in the solitude of the Brunch Bowl fraternising with abstract notions of conflicting laws.
Conflicts are sometimes the most irritating aspects of one's life. I've waxed lyrical over inter-personal conflicts, so I will no longer dwell on it. On one hand, I am anxiously checking my inbox for that mail to arrive, but on the other hand, I am also eager for that mail/invitation to come in, which would make plans a little clearer. So much so, when torn between myself and the people who need me, I'm not sure how to choose. But December will sort itself out.
Conflicting emotions inside me are running riot. I don't remember feeling like this for a long time, and while I'm absolutely glowing at times, that need to suppress those emotions and appear detached is fast becoming overwhelming. But nothing's going to come out of either, so it would appear that I'm at equilibrium. Funnily enough, equilibrium sometimes, is the most painful position.
Lounging at Yumnation with Soulmate refreshed perspectives so much that it was hard to say "ok let's go". At times like those, I'm content to just lounge the whole time away. But I can't, so perhaps I should just say, lucky to be here...
------------------------------------ All my life has been a show that never ends Made a lot of music and I've made a lot of friends I've got two children but I've never had a wife Don't mean to bore you with the story of my life
I've been criticized for all the things I've done But I must admit that I did it all in fun The Lord has blessed me with a song a day to sing It's been a long hard road but I wouldn't change a thing
And oh I'm just lucky to be here I can't believe I got this far And if I stopped along the way to fight a tear I'm sorry But I thought I saw my dream
There's been so much that I've learned along the way I learned that love is color blind and how to pray And that emotions were controlled from deep inside But what I learned the most was how to swallow pride
Oh, I'm just lucky to be here I can't believe I got this far And if I stopped along the way to fight a tear I'm sorry But I thought I saw my dream Oh, I'm just lucky to be here I'd gladly stay a thousand years Breathe your love into this union of souls And I'll just write the words