In My Words

"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005

Flying Fingers of

kelvin
in london
reading law
bloody stressed


Archives

I don't keep archives

Currently Reading

Company Law - Gower and Davies

in the mood for

Yi Lu Xiang Bei
- Jay Chou

Measure of a Man
- Clay Aiken


Public Airings

The Straits Times Selection

Singapore:To Me
Elitism
Musicianship
Work/Study


A Memory Stirs

The Highlights

Joan Chan
From the future
Ninth Exco
No Damn
WMD
July 7th
My words
My Story, Your Song
Open Letter
ISFJ

Linked to
Livvy
Kassie
Xf
Dana
Audrey

Say Hi to me
kelvgoh@gmail.com

I endorse


the LSESUSS Disco 2005
zouked@the phoenix




from you to me




free hit counter


It Drives Me


thanks to
Image: Yun Photo Gallery
Design: Blogfrocks
Powered: Blogger
 
Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I still get an andrenaline rush when I get a byline. Even more so when I get the lead article in YouthInk. But if anything, it inspires me to write even more, and better than ever before.

Dec 12, 2005
Let's talk about MARRIAGE
by Goh Wen Zhong



I ATTENDED two weddings over the past two years. In each one, the bride was a dear friend from junior college.

It feels surreal that I am spending 18 hours a day trying to finish my assignments while some of my peers have started building a family. If life is a play, I feel one act behind.

But marriage, to me, is a sacred institution. It involves so much more than the physical act of signing the paper, or the utterance of the over-stated 'I do'. It involves a full commitment of the heart, mind and soul to another person, and to do that, I need to know that I am capable of carrying the expectations of another.

If my immediate future is not secure, the thought of marriage, or even emotional attachment, does not cross my mind. It is not born out of a selfish desire of self-advancement, but for practical reasons.

I want to be able to afford a wedding ceremony befitting the significance of the occasion. I want my wife to have the freedom to choose whether to work or be a homemaker. I want my marriage to be a genuine joy to my parents, and not a burden. I want to be the best husband and father I can be.

The peripheral thoughts are mind-boggling: Financial stability is a must. We must be mature enough to differentiate between someone we can grow old with and a momentary infatuation. We must be able to honour the fact that marriage is a life-time commitment.

Am I able to do all of that? I cannot even guarantee the first criterion.

The writer is a third-year law student at the London School of Economics.

kelvin was inspired at 1:08 AM

     

Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Sunset Image Copyright © Yun Photo Gallery