"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
My life has been so routine that there isn't much to blog about, but it is by no means an indicator that it's a useless existence here at the moment. Well, for starters, I'm quite proud that i've managed to keep to the plan for the past week. At least for every day except friday that is. But that's not my fault, it's the sniffles (which leads me to wonder whether I took the wrong jab at TTSH).
It's been so monotonous that I actually made a failed attempt to blog last night, only to give up after two paragraphs, after realising that I wasn't making any sense with my words. For someone who counts his only skill as being able to write, it's quite a horror.
Nevermind, I'm actually progressing quite well this time around, so it's a relief. However, it's largely because something struck me like a thunderbolt while I was watching the grand finals of Strictly Come Dancing and the grand finals of X-Factor. Don't such shows make you realise, that sometimes, the best person doesn't win?
Let's talk X-Factor first. personally, I was rooting for Journey South to win the competition. I think they're a pair of really good musicians, not just singers. Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a particular weakness for singer-songwriters (think Jewel), but if you think about it, i think such musicians are so much more than just a voice yodelling out words on a sheet of paper. For the record, I think singers who just sing songs written for them are pathetic (especially if they don't have a big voice). So that's why I was rooting for JS - they've the most musicianship of the finalists.
I don't think Andy is a great singer, and his "bin-man" story has been wayyyyy overhyped. All through the competition he's been singing RnB numbers in that boring statacco voice of his, and his weird arm gesticulations didn't really help at all. It's something like Ruben Studdard (where's he now?)
I didn't really like Shayne either. He's young, he has an amazing vocal range and is reasonably good looking, but just look at him, what sort of musician is he going to be? Somewhere along the lines of Bobby Brown may be a good indicator. He strikes me as the "I want to be a pop star because I think it's a glamourous and easy life" sorta wannabe, and such people don't sit well with me at all. Hey, look at his reason: "I want to win so that I can have a better life." C'mon lad, life as a shoe salesboy ain't bad innit? If only you had done better at school my boy.
And so it transpires that along with the usual "Whatever-me-wants-me-won't-get-it" trend of late, Journey South got knocked out of the reckoning after the first half of the final showdown. So now, left with Andy and Shayne. I was thinking, I'd rather Andy, simply because, when he says he wants a better life, there's some truth in it. Bin man's no fun I know, but this lad's got a wife and kids to keep up, and if anything, he's closer to 30 and a good deal more stable. Chances of him getting pissed and having wild sex with a legion of female fans - next to none. If I have to give someone a better life, I'd give it to Andy, rather than Shayne. But the British public, being as intelligent as Sylvester Sim fans out there voted Shayne. Ok. not as bad as Syl, at least this lad's got a good voice. but still, let's see.
Oh, and strictly come dancing? haha. I'm not much of a ballroom dancer, nor will I ever be one, but I know a good dancer when I see one. I liked Zoe. Not because she's fairly good looking, but because she had a genuine passion for her dance. She danced with emotion, and it shows. Her tango was stupendous, and of the three finalists, she had the best scores throughout the competition. As usual, the first one to get knocked out.
I thought Colin Jackson (yes the british world record hurdler) was a pretty good dancer too, even though he messed up his freestyle routine with an odd dance which involved him and his partner dancing with blow up dolls. It almost seemed as if they were involved in some sick self-gratification on the dance floor (on national tv to boot), but he was an amazing dancer throughout the competition. Consistency, style, he had it all. In the end, out.
And so the British public went for the pirennial underdog. The stumbling block of wood who can't dance for nuts. Sure he made the greatest improvement over the whole competition, but this ain't a competition on who made the greatest improvement, it's about who's the best dancer. Hey, it makes sense right? If life was about who made the best improvement I'm surely somewhere up there. But that's not how it's supposed to be, but yeah. And so once again the skills of judgment of the British public were put to the test, and once again, proved to be inept and incompetent.
What next? Vote in a conservative government?
But yes, sometimes, the best people don't win. Cos the sad truth is that you're only as good as people think you are. And if people around you are cock-eyed or have odd opinions over what make someone a "good person" etc etc, 4 words does the trick. Too-bad-for-you. Or as the brits say it, "tough luck mate".