"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
FIVE years ago, I made a decision to read law in the United Kingdom, and to give up the opportunity to pursue my passion in international economics. Back then, I saw it as a the practical choice - one which will guide me towards a stable career.
But ironically, five years down the road, in my final year of my law degree, I can't say that I'm going to be a lawyer.
The job is undoubtably attractive, and rewarding. But my educational experience has taught me that there is more to life than bringing home a huge paycheck. I want to help alleviate the suffering of children in impoverished nations. I want to formulate workable policies to ensure medical attention is given to every person who seeks it.
But I realise that there is a difference between ideals and the real world. I need the financial stability of a job which will enable me to give my parents a worry-free retirement, to give my future family a comfortable life, and to give my children the very same opportunities I have been given.
And not all jobs can offer me that stability. I know I can't be selfish and pursue my own ideals at the expense of so many other people. To me, choosing a career is not about bragging rights or endless wealth. It's about responsibility, and to give the people who matter to me the opportunity to choose their life, without worrying whether I can support them in those dreams.
They supported my dreams, I should support theirs too.
The writer is a third-year law student at the London School of Economics