"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005
Anyone who knows me well that the one thing that I thrive on is the power of dreams. I have had many dreams. Going overseas to study, graduating from law school, driving my dad's car... slowly but surely, one by one, i'm ticking those boxes as dreams that have come true for me. And I am thankful that i have the opportunity to savour the sweet feel of dreams coming true.
But I have one more dream that I want to make come true this upcoming academic year. friends around me may have heard this little project that i hope to embark on, and without me actually saying what it was, i think word has gotten around. I guess in fairness i should hide it no further, since all of us involved in this project given our word to it.
Faith The Musical was not something that i saw myself doing in this lifetime. But it was something that i badly wanted to happen, probably more subconsciously than anything else. I was speaking to her the other day and she told me that i mentioned to her 2 years ago that it was my dream to act in a musical one day, and she told me that coincidentally, it was her dream too. In that respect, she hoped my dream will come true, because she knew what it meant.
I never thought that two years later, I would be talking to her about a project gerard and I thought up. But yes, I did. and that was when Faith The Musical was born.
It represents a culmination of dreams, maybe mine, maybe his, maybe hers. And holding my dreams, and the dreams of many other people in my hand, that is what keeps me going. I've always believed in the power of dreams, and that is why we have also chosen the charity that will benefit from Faith The Musical. It represents the dreams of the young, and I am convinced that it will do everything it can to let these children live their dreams. I identify with the pain and difficulty these children face, it is the same with Faith.
The outward futility of the project cannot be understated. An ambitious production with no budget whatsoever, to be staged in London where quality instruments and technical materials come at a financial premium. But we will not be discouraged. we've come this far, it's too late for us to back out now.
I watch her sing her heart out at demo recording sessions. I talk with him on an almost daily basis and i realise how much his time is at a premium, yet he digs deep to come up with score after score after score. And this is where I realise the value of dreams. It is the belief in something enough to make you want to realise it.
And I promise myself, and this little team that we've gathered, that I will do everything in my power to make Faith The Musical a reality. I am thankful, and grateful for the friends who have joined us in the project, and I hope that we will see this dream realised.
The Impossible Dream
To dream the impossible dream To fight the unbeatable foe To bear with unbearable sorrow To run where the brave dare not go To right the unrightable wrong To love pure and chaste from afar To try when your arms are too weary To reach the unreachable star
This is my quest To follow that star No matter how hopeless No matter how far
To fight for the right Without question or pause To be willing to march into Hell For a heavenly cause
And I know if I'll only be true To this glorious quest That my heart will lie peaceful and calm When I'm laid to my rest
And the world will be better for this That one man, scorned and covered with scars Still strove with his last ounce of courage To reach the unreachable star
If I believed that dreams were unreachable, I wouldn't be here today.