In My Words

"Don't ever lose faith in who you are, for that's what makes you different.
Don't try to turn yourself into someone everyone else is, for if that happens, the world is a poorer place."
- Sept 2005

Flying Fingers of

kelvin
in london
reading law
bloody stressed


Archives

I don't keep archives

Currently Reading

Company Law - Gower and Davies

in the mood for

Yi Lu Xiang Bei
- Jay Chou

Measure of a Man
- Clay Aiken


Public Airings

The Straits Times Selection

Singapore:To Me
Elitism
Musicianship
Work/Study


A Memory Stirs

The Highlights

Joan Chan
From the future
Ninth Exco
No Damn
WMD
July 7th
My words
My Story, Your Song
Open Letter
ISFJ

Linked to
Livvy
Kassie
Xf
Dana
Audrey

Say Hi to me
kelvgoh@gmail.com

I endorse


the LSESUSS Disco 2005
zouked@the phoenix




from you to me




free hit counter


It Drives Me


thanks to
Image: Yun Photo Gallery
Design: Blogfrocks
Powered: Blogger
 
Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I wrote a submission for Straits Times this week but it didn't get published. However, I still feel strongly enough about the topic to put it up here. so yep.


Head : Look Before You Leap

By : Goh Wen Zhong

IT COMES as no surprise to me that many of my counterparts harbour dreams of moving abroad to seek a new life. I thought that way as well.

Three years ago, I got my chance to climb over the fence and tread the path beyond it. The grass was indeed as green as it looked, but as I walked, everyone I walked past stared at me, a welcome gesture not forthcoming.

I saw successful people, I met happy people. They talked of a comfortable life, opportunity and substantial reward. These were the reasons that enticed me to climb the fence, and I badly wanted to join them in their utopia.

But what I never counted on was having to persuade them to let me partake. They had a good thing no doubt, but their stand was clear: Why should we share these things, which we worked so hard for, with a total stranger who played no part in helping us there?

I knew no day or night as I toiled to prove that I was worthy of joining their company. I worked harder than I ever did, but yet it still came to naught, because the fact was immutable - I was a stranger.

I looked around for a shoulder to cry on, for someone to lend me support and to help me reach for my dreams. But everyone else was busy building their own dreams and had little time for me. Most importantly, I saw no family, only strangers.

I was tired of fighting for acceptance, and struggling to fit in. I decided I had enough and walked back to the fence and climbed it. As I stood on familiar soil once more, everyone around me then looked up, smiled, and said "Welcome back."

I took one last backward glance at the scene beyond the fence. Beautiful as it was, it wasn't my garden, it was someone else's backyard.

kelvin was inspired at 1:15 AM

     

Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Sunset Image Copyright © Yun Photo Gallery